Tuesday, February 10, 2015

"i threw myself into academics because i thought that was the only thing you could do"

Hi loves!

As a lot of you already know, I am the youngest contestant in the running for a "full ride" to get her Global Degree: a journey to every UN recognized country over the course of four years, starting in eastern Asia and the South Pacific!  I've put a link to my video application at the end of this post, which explains my personal reasons for wanting to apply but I thought I would take some time with this post to explain why I think the Global Degree is such an amazing concept for everyone.

As I talk about in my video, I graduated high school at the age of sixteen after throwing myself headfirst into my academics. While I don't regret pushing and challenging myself through that process, I DO regret not taking time in high school to discover things I'm passionate about and to figure out what I want to do with my future. I had all of this drive and motivation, and focused it entirely into my classes and academics because I didn't realize there were other options.
That's where the Global Degree comes in.

This project, and the fact that it's being documented through a web series (which has been picked up by the Discovery Channel, you guys, this is legit!!!) are trailblazing a path for men and women of all ages to discover alternative methods of educating themselves. As an intended intercultural communications major, there's no better way to learn than by communicating in different cultures! Throwing yourself into Nepal, for example, and meeting the people there and learning about what makes them tick will leave you with much more lasting knowledge than reading about Nepal in a textbook (and will undoubtedly create amazing memories). This isn't just applicable to a major that's globally focused: experiential learning is the most effective way to develop an understanding: what better way to learn about pelagics like sharks than hopping on a boat in South Australia to monitor them first hand? Lab sciences take into account the importance of experiential learning, but it seems as though there's much more that can be done.

If I'm selected as the newest member of the Global Degree team, I have plans to partner with four classrooms (at the moment, I am totally open to adding a few more to that list though!). The kids i would be talking to range from 3rd-7th grade, and I plan to answer any questions that the kids have over Skype or FaceTime. I'm doing this for a lot of different reasons: obviously if I am lucky enough to have this experience, it's important to share that with my community, but I think talking with the kids will have a myriad of other benefits. Even though we can't all drop everything to travel right now (for a variety of reasons) I think partnering with the classrooms is the next best thing. As the fourth and fifth graders are learning about different cultures, geography, and their own heritage, they would be able to ask questions. Kids are curious! I think this would also show younger students that there are other options besides what's emphasized in the current US education system. It's both important and incredibly healthy to explore your passions while you are younger. You don't have to focus only on your academics or go right to a four-year college, locally, there are so many experiences to be had! Many countries have work-holiday visas for long term stays, there are gap years, they can get started on their Global Degree! And if they do decide to go the traditional educational route, hopefully the partnership experience will spark a desire to study abroad during their young adulthood. 

Go out. See the world. There's ALWAYS a way to make it happen, and even funds set aside specifically to help you fund your adventures! We should all strive to earn our Global Degree and gain the ultimate education.

As promised, here is the link to my video:
To vote, make sure to like or follow Global Degree, then visit the contestants with the last names T-Z. I'm the very last video, please show it some love! If you have any questions about the program or need advice in beginning your own travels please reach out to me.

Thank you for all your support!
-Nish
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment